Direct Hire, Tacoma, WA
We currently have a direct-hire position for a Payroll Manager in Tacoma, WA!
This rapidly growing company focuses on specialized workforce solutions meeting clients' needs for a reliable, efficient workforce, and it services a wide variety of industries including construction, energy, manufacturing, financial services, pharmaceuticals, transportation, aviation and energy. They assign as many as 100,000 people to work each day, drawing from a data base of hundreds of thousands of candidates, and places more than 250,000 people in permanent positions each year.
We are conducting a nationwide search to find an energetic and enthusiastic Payroll Manager to join the fast paced world of Payroll Services in the clients Corporate Office in Tacoma, WA. This position will report directly to the Director of Accounting Operations, and oversee the permanent payroll administered utilizing the three different payroll systems. The department is responsible for providing correct, and compliant pay in a timely manner.
This is not your ordinary payroll position. Payroll is the main expense for the company, and this position is directly involved in the management and oversight of this cost. You'll have the opportunity to make a difference to the business by working on and initiating projects in a fast-paced environment.
For their permanent employees, they process payroll on a biweekly basis. They manage the system used to pay over 5,000 employees in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Canada under 8 FEINs.
This position is located in Tacoma, WA!
Organizational and Management
- Oversee the career growth planning and development activities for department members
- Providing timely and specific coaching to staff to contribute to their growth and development
- Managing a team including payroll processors supporting our field and Corporate associates in their questions on pay
- Monitoring changes in the areas of minimum wage, wage and hour law, sick leave, and other federal, state and local regulations.
- Sharing expertise and practices to help ensure a highly competent and professional team
- Creating an environment where team members are empowered to take ownership and make decisions
- Ensuring information is shared in a clear, concise and collaborative manner
- Making staffing recommendations including hiring and terminations; performing annual performance evaluations for team members
- Working with various departments such as operations, compliance, HR, and marketing on special projects as needed
Technical & Analytical
- Managing various payroll systems to ensure accurate payment of 5,000+ employees
- Managing equity plans and associated payroll balance adjustments related to those transactions for both our permanent employees and Board members
- Implementing and monitoring internal controls over payroll systems
- Creating and interpreting dashboards to identify, monitor and resolve process inefficiencies
- Creating ad hoc reporting and analysis as required by our leadership team
- Developing a close working partnership with the IT, Finance, HR, Operations and other Payroll Services departments and help refine practices to obtain synergies and efficiencies
- Leading the integration of payroll activities for acquired companies – this includes but is not limited to gap analysis for payroll policies, and integration and migration of employees into our payroll system
- Managing projects and driving process change; researching and resolving compliance issues
- Implementing benefit policy changes in a timely manner
- Resolution of all system issues during the payroll cycle
- Setting up benefit plans
- Leading configuration decisions, requirements definition, testing, and implementation of new laws and regulations in our payroll systems
- Assisting in the selection and implementation of a new timekeeping system
- Resolving issues in our systems by working with our IT department to prioritize, understand and resolve them
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field
- 7+ years finance related experience specific to payroll with at least 3 years managing a department with multiple direct reports
- Strong interpersonal skills, including persuasive written and oral communication skills
- Solid organizational and project management skills
- Passion for providing excellent customer service
- Demonstrated ability in systems implementations and managing projects across multi functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to handle numerous tasks simultaneously and ability to adapt in a fast paced and ever changing environment
- Experience performing ad hoc analysis using advanced Excel including V-look ups, pivot tables, and other complex functions
(Payroll Supervisor, Senior Payroll Manager, Senior Payroll Specialist, Payroll Tax Supervisor, Payroll Lead, Sr. Payroll Specialist)